Trying Drugstore Skincare

Monday, 18 July 2016


Recently I've been turning my attention to drugstore brands and products because I began to feel a bit disconnected from the more affordable side of the beauty world. The store I work in had a sale on some skincare brands and I decided to take advantage to try products I haven't ever used before.
I always need a good eye makeup remover so I love trying a new one every time I run out. This time around I went for the Nivea Daily Essentials Double Effect Eye Makeup Remover. It's a bi-phase makeup remover which makes it feel a bit oily on the skin. That doesn't bother me because I always follow up with a regular cleanser, or a micellar water at the least, so my skin doesn't remain oily. Honestly, this is a pretty standard makeup remover and doesn't work very well at removing my mascara in particular. Maybe it's my mascara, maybe it's the remover, but I'm not super loving it.

I'm so late to the party of shopping around the drugstore micellar water options but I finally picked up the Nivea Daily Essentials Sensitive Caring Micellar Water. Straight up, I do not like this. It works fine but just not well enough to earn a repurchase from me. So far I definitely prefer the Garnier Micellar Water and the Bioderma range over this product. I'll use it up but I just don't think it does a whole lot, removing only the top layer of my makeup and making me work really hard to remove eye makeup.

Additionally, I think the combination of the Nivea Eye Makeup Remover and Micellar Water is drying out my skin around my eyes and I find that really annoying. My skin has become flaky and irritated and the only change in my skincare recently has been the addition of these removers. Another reason not to repurchase.

Continuing on with the makeup remover trend! Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula skincare just arrived at my workplace and I decided to try two products from the line including the Creamy Cleanser & Makeup Remover. It's quite a thin cream formula but I like the way it feels on my skin and it does remove my face makeup pretty well. I haven't been game to rub this in my eyes considering nothing on the packaging says I should do that so right now it's just a face makeup remover for me.

I don't know what it is but I am on a real clay mask kick right now and the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Purifying Enzyme Mask appealed to me. It uses kaolin clay and papaya enzymes to exfoliate the skin and pull out any bacteria hanging out in your pores. I don't get a lot of acne but I love the way clay masks smooth out my skin and cleans out my pores a bit. For a drugstore priced product, I'm really enjoying using this throughout the week.

What are your favourite drugstore skincare products? Have you tried something new recently?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment