New Palettes

Wednesday, 8 June 2016


I have a problem with eyeshadow. As in, I have way too much of it and I am always craving more. Earlier this year I had a really good streak of not purchasing any eyeshadow which came to a screeching halt when the Sephora Australia 20% off sale happened. Let's have a look at my new goodies!

In many ways these palettes sit on completely different ends of the makeup style spectrum: one is mostly shimmery jewelled colourful shades and the other is a completely matte neutral collection. But if your makeup habits don't swing to extremes sometimes, I don't think I understand your relationship with makeup.


This Zoeva Mixed Metals palette is a thing of beauty that I have been eyeing from a distance for years, literally. I don't know how many times I've put it in my basket on the Zoeva website without ever pressing 'checkout' and, even once the brand had landed on Australian shores, I still didn't pick it up! It took a sale to finally seal the deal for me and I am so happy.

I don't have a lot of colourful shades in my collection but I absolutely love the selection in this palette. They're all jewel or metal tones, hence the Mixed Metals name, but they have a classiness, or an elegance, that I think removes them from the clown makeup category. These are definitely shades you could mix and use on a daily basis without people asking you why you're so dressed up.


Standout shades for me are definitely the fiery red of Copperplate, the acid yellow of Neo Brass and the bright off-silver of Platinum. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that Warm Silver, the lightest colour in the palette, isn't a bit brighter because I would have loved something really shocking for the inner corner when wearing heavier colours from the rest of the palette. I also definitely don't need another matter black but what are you going to do!


Swinging all the way over to the right, we have the Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye Contour Quad in Sage. For a few weeks now, I've caught glimpses of this palette, and its sisters, on blogs from the US and the UK and I was determined to pick one up when they finally landed in Australia. I'm definitely a shimmery eyeshadow fan but there's something to be said about the simplicity and sophistication of a matte eye look. I just don't need the 12 shades of the original Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye or the nine of the Too Faced Natural Eye Matte. Four shades is just enough for me in a compact, easy to use palette for those rare times I'm not feeling the shimmer.

The thing is: while reading those blog posts and looking up swatch photos, etc, I always assumed I would purchase the purple combination, Plum, because purple eyeshadows are a no-brainer colour choice for me. And even when I saw these palettes in Sephora, I automatically bought the purple colour way. It wasn't until I had left the store that I started to get second thoughts. After all, if you have a million purple eyeshadows, why add to the bunch? I'm so glad I went back and sheepishly exchanged Plum for Sage because it's quite a different group of colours in my collection and I'm loving the experimentation.


Like all Kat Von D palettes, the colours are laid out so simplistically with a large base colour and three smaller crease, liner or definer, and highlight shades. I can't get enough of the ochre base colour and that deep forest green; they are so unique and will be great this winter to try something different. All of the shades are incredibly soft and apply very easily, though the green is so dark that it can be a bit difficult to blend out. I also want to give a little shout-out to the packaging which, in true KVD style, is in the shape of a little coffin.

I love having new toys to play with and these are both beautiful products that fill new little niches in my collection. I must say that I am pretty happy about veering outside of my cool taupe-neutral colour palette for these purchases.

Have you tried either of these palettes or are you on to something else?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment