Beauty Chat | Luxury Beauty

Monday, 2 May 2016


For the majority of my makeup-loving life, I have been an advocate for affordable, drugstore makeup brands. I used to almost exclusively shop at Priceline but, in recent times, I have witnessed my interests swaying very heavily towards more expensive beauty brands and, most recently, towards the truly luxury names. Now I'm wondering: is luxury beauty worth it?
Let me write a quick caveat here: You can spend your money on whatever you want to spend it on. Literally no one has a right to tell you what to buy. I'm here to talk about my spending habits, not to impose any beliefs on you.

I have always been interested in luxury brands because I live in a capitalist society where classic luxury brands are a covetable standard. That being said, the packaging is beautiful and there is nothing quite like the feeling of pulling a Chanel anything out of your bag. So, it was probably only a matter of time before I started investing dollars as well as time into my desire for luxury.

My first luxury beauty purchase was the Dior Holiday 2014 eyeshadow palette and it was a really big deal for me. I had never bought any beauty product that expensive before and it felt like the stars had aligned to give me a beautiful selection of colours from a beautiful brand and I wanted it. Since then, I've dabbled in luxury beauty but I would say I still buy the majority of my makeup from mid-range brands.

The thing that usually stops me from purchasing the most recent highlighter or lipstick release from a luxury brand is breaking down what my money is actually buying. Usually the big price tag can be accredited to the fragrance and the brand stamp on the packaging. Something really important to remember about luxury makeup is that the brands are owned by the same parent companies that own drugstore brands, too, so there is often a lot of overlap in formula between sister brands. Remembering that in all honesty, you are not paying extra for a more unique formula or colour or design (usually) is a great way too kill the hype around a luxury beauty purchase.

At the same time, it can be incredibly hard to see all of these beauty bloggers and youtubers, who largely receive luxury beauty as PR, talk about their luxury beauty loves and not feel like you're missing out. Perhaps it's the fact that luxury beauty sits just out of reach (or completely out of reach for some) that it is so much more desirable and appealing than drugstore makeup. Buying a $60 lipstick feels substantial and a bit naughty so we get a thrill from it that we wouldn't get from buying a $15 one from Priceline.

But at what point do we recognise that that thrill probably isn't worth a 400% price increase? I'm not sure if I'm there yet because I'm still contemplating a Chanel lipstick for a graduation present to myself. But I'm also actively trying to pursue more affordable brands with the knowledge that I can love and collection and use makeup without paying an arm and a leg for it.

What are your thoughts? Do you buy a lot of luxury beauty or are affordable brands more your style? Let me know in a comment!

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment