Getting a Summer Glow (without Bronzer)

Monday, 1 February 2016


I am a pale girl and I know there are other pale girls out there who struggle to make bronzers and tanners look natural on our fair complexions. But we all want that beachy bronze goddess look, right? So here are my top tips for getting that effortless summer glow without bronzer.
Glowy setting powders
The rise of the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders saw glowy setting powders reach the masses. Instead of running for the hills in fear of disco-ball-face, people could see the appeal of a shimmery face powder to add an ethereal, air-brushed look to the skin without photoshop. I love the MAC Beauty Powders but they are very tricky to get your hands on as they are typically the first products to sell out in any collection.

Gold highlighters
With my neutral-pink undertones, I always swerved away from gold highlighters, fearing they would be too noticeable and unnatural on my skin. But with a finely milled powder, like the MAC Mineralised Skin Finish in Perfect Topping, or a cream, like the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Poured in Opal, I could blend and buff away the edges enough to leave a bronzy, intense highlight which makes my skin looked just sun-kissed enough.

Bronze blushes
Orange blush can be hard to get right considering there are no conditions in which your skin would actually turn that colour. But shift the emphasis towards a more golden-bronzy colour and you're looking at goddess territory. While this tone of blush is typically reserved for those with olive or darker skin tones, I love the look of a bronze blush like NARS Lustre on pale girls to add a shimmery, spends-all-day-everyday-at-the-beach vibe.

Setting sprays
Nothing kills a bronze goddess look faster than caked up, powdery makeup. But for some makeup wearers, especially those with oily skin, using cream products just isn't an awesome option. For this I recommend setting sprays. My favourite is MAC Fix+ because it settles very gently on the skin, allowing the makeup and powder to blend and blur on the face without moving or shifting. Setting sprays are great for melting everything together and allowing your natural beauty to shine through.

How do you get your summer glow?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment