Liquid Lipstick Comparison | Rimmel Provocalips and Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick

Wednesday, 2 December 2015


Liquid lipsticks are taking the beauty world by storm and it seems like every brand is releasing their own formulations, but what's really the difference between them? I'm comparing the Rimmel Provocalips 16hr Kiss-Proof Lipstick with the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick.
Let's start with Rimmel. The Provocalips formula is reminiscent of the original liquid, long-wear lipstick formula with the colour pigment on one end and a clear gloss on the other. You're supposed to apply the colour first to your lips and let it set for a minute before adding the gloss on top to keep them from getting uncomfortably dry. While this process makes sense, I often feel it's a bit out-dated when other brands are able to come up with perfectly good and comfortable matte formulas that don't require a gloss top. Additionally, if you mess up the timing of the gloss layer, it totally ruins the colour underneath so it smears and moves into patchy clumps that you have to take all off and reapply. I can't say I love that.

The colour, though, is really good. Very pigmented and smooth on the lips, the only patchiness occurs when you mis-apply the gloss. I have the shade Little Minx which is a very bright hot pink, but Provocalips comes in a large variety of shades from nudes through to deep vampy shades. These also last quite well on the lips. You are guaranteed to have colour left over at the end of the day, no problem.

Something I find a bit unsettling is the wear of Provocalips. I have sad, dry lips which aren't awesome for liquid lipsticks but I find with this one in particular, the colour can settle into my lip lines and look uneven and unflattering. I can almost fix it by reapplying a thin layer of the colour over top, but too much and it gets very clumpy and needs to be removed. Maybe it's my lips, maybe it's the formula, but I don't love that either.

The Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks are a whole other story in many ways. Firstly, it's a simple matte formula liquid lipstick without any additional gloss or finishing top coat which makes application a bit more straight forward in my opinion. The colour range is perhaps more partial to the bright and bold, but I think that can be expected from the experimental Kat Von D brand.

This formula is incredible. It is beautifully thin, feeling like nothing on application or throughout the wear. While it is very matte in finish, it's not uncomfortable or drying. It can make your lips look a little bit shrivelly but I think that's a sacrifice you have to be willing to make with matte lip products. Plus, this product last alllll day. If there's any wear, it's gentle on the inner lip and only occurs with eating or drinking. But if you leave enough time between application and eating, you're good to last all day. While there's some staining at the end of the day, it's not too difficult to remove, nailing the best of both worlds for long-wear lipsticks.

These are both quite good liquid lipstick formulas that are going to last all day. Depending on your budget, you're probably going to enjoy having either of these in your beauty collections, especially if you're a liquid lipstick enthusiast.

I feel like I'm only dipping my toes into what's available in liquid lipstick form, so please let me know what brand makes your favourite rendition and what I should try next.

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment