Drugstore Products Worth the Hype

Tuesday, 8 December 2015


Last week I shared the highend beauty products I think are worth the hype (read here) but to keep it even, I'm doing drugstore products this week. The drugstore is a huge wonderland of makeup goodness with, what I feel to be a particularly high turn-over rate for new products. There are plenty of options and some of them are actually awesome.
Rimmel Scandel'Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliners - These liners are fantastic. They are smooth and creamy like any higher end product. They also last really well whether you put them on the upper lash line, the lower lash line, or the water line. The worst part is they're only available in a handful of colours but Rimmel covers all of your basics with black, brown, bronze, and nude, so anything extra is a gift.

NYX Butter Glosses - I feel like this products get talked about consistently and positively across the beauty community as opposed to raved about. They're a very affordable gloss that isn't sticky or messy to wear and comes in an awesome range of colourful and neutral colours. I also adore the sweet cake-like scent of them (so much more than the cherry scent of the hyper-shine glosses). I currently have only one of these glosses in the shade Peach Cobbler but I am eyeing up some of the neutral pinks once I finish some of my other drugstore glosses.

Australis Fresh & Flawless Pressed Powder - Unfortunately, this is an Australian exclusive product but if you ever get a chance to pick this up, I would recommend it. Many people compare the consistency and wear of this powder to MAC pressed powders which goes to show that you aren't necessarily getting better quality with higher price points when it comes to powders. Australis recently expanded their range to include more shades in this pressed powder so more people can use it and enjoy it!

Maybelline Color Tattoos - Like a lot of hyped products, the beauty community went crazy when these first released a few years ago. Initial reactions were very positive before tapering off into a more gently positive opinion nowadays. I still have two of mine in Tough as Taupe and Barely Branded which I still use everyday (in my brows and as an eyeshadow base respectively) and they are very high quality considering the price point. You get plenty of product in the little glass jars and the colours are unique and workable for many different purposes whether as eye bases, brow pomades, highlighters, etc.

Maybelline Gel Liner - As far as drugstore products that are highly comparable to highend products, the Maybelline Gel Liner would be at the top of my list. It is intensely black, very smooth, and lasts for ages before drying out to being unusable. When you compare prices between Bobbi Brown, MAC, and other brands known for the gel liners, the Maybelline one is incomparably affordable. While mine is slowly dying from dryness, I will definitely look to repurchase it in the future.

How does your list of drugstore products worth the hype compare to mine?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment