Disappointing Drugstore Products

Tuesday, 22 December 2015


I often think of the drugstore as a safe space to make mistakes. The stakes aren't all that high so whether or not you love a product you purchase, it's not that devastating. I especially love lowering the stakes even more by only shopping during sales. Inevitably you will make a mistake and purchase a product that doesn't work for you or that was disappointing for whatever reason.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss - If you're an avid reader/watcher of my online content than you know I've been working my way through my Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Glosses and, while I didn't have a single problem with the cream formula, the sparkly formula is so incredibly glittery that the glitter chunks are very noticeable and gritty on the lips which I do not like at all. Then, when the gloss wears away, they leave the chunks of glitter behind in an unflattering manner. I will use these glosses up but I do not care for them.

Revlon Color Burst Matte Balm in Complex - I have very few nude coloured lip products so I thought I would branch out with this Matte Balm in Complex but I'm just so not used to seeing this kind of shade on me and it's not the most flattering nudey-peachy-brown on my pale skin so I don't get a lot of use out of it. I end up layering it with different glosses and lip liners to try and make it work but I often think I should have saved the money.

Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid in Vivid Rose - This collection was incredibly hyped online when it first launched so I was very excited to get my hands on one of them straight away. I picked Vivid Rose because it was a beautiful pink-red that was unusual in my collection. Like the Matte Balm in Complex, though, I don't have a lot of shades like this because I don't really like wearing them. I'm trying to get more use out of it over summer but I definitely should have picked a colour that suited me better or skipped the collection completely.

Revlon Highlighting Palette in Rose Glow - This looks like a dupe for the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks and that's exactly what I expected it to be but the glitter particles in this product are large and noticeable. I don't particularly dislike the product, as long as I'm looking for a glittery highlight, but it is nowhere near the smooth shimmery but not glittery look that I expected when I purchased this.

I promise this is not a 'bash Revlon' post. I just happen to have a lot of Revlon products and it means I have a larger breakdown of good and bad products as compared to other brands. Anyway! These products didn't work out for me and were rather disappointing. What products from the drugstore have you found disappointing?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment