the Declutter

Thursday, 26 November 2015


I am the biggest hypocrite when it comes to decluttering beauty products. I encourage everyone to spare themselves the time and energy of keeping products that don't work for them but when it comes to my own collection, I can't come up with excuses fast enough. But today is the day: some things are just too old or too ill-suited to keep hanging around.

Want to have a competition for oldest makeup item in your collection? The NYC Eyeliner Duet in Through the Storm has been in my collection for approximately 8 years. It is simply time to go! Joining it will be the Maybelline Color Show Crayon Kohl in Edgy Emerald because it's just too dry to use comfortably and the Nutrimetics Birds of Paradise Eyeshadow/Eyeliner Duo because it creases.

A few months ago I did a review of the Sunday Riley Prismasilk Eye Colors (read it here) and I just haven't been reaching for them enough to justify the space they take up in my collection. Their formula is pretty dry and powdery and none of the colours I have are particular staples in my everyday makeup. The colours to leave me are Marrakesh Nights, Hovig's Pants, Casablanca, Moon Dust, Aspen Snow, Vintage Lace, and Desert Sunset.


I'm a little bit sad about this next bunch but it's time to be honest with myself and let them go. The first is the Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow quint in Muse. I have another of these palettes in Watercolors and I also reviewed them many years ago (read it here). I love using purple eyeshadow and that's why I've kept this guy around for so long but there's only so many months that can pass without you even reaching for it before it's time to say goodbye.

Two other Revlon lip products haven't made the cut. I finally had to confront the fact that I own too many red lipsticks for the amount of times I wear the colour. The Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Standout is a nice formula but it's not my favourite so it's going. Also the Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Finale because it's too bright and sticky.

At first I loved the C-II Lipstick in Rebel because it was a heaps more affordable dupe for MAC Rebel. But one day I caught a glimpse of myself after the lipstick had faded on my lips and it was awful! It was patchy and stained and I do not trust it anymore.


We'll finish this declutter off with some nail polishes. The Dr Lewinn's Revitanail and Artistry Nail Colour French Manicure Base are about as old as I am and have become unusably gluey. OPI Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous and Estee Lauder Pure Colour in Chaos are very similar black-based silvery glitter shades that I don't think suite me so I don't need them cluttering up my space any longer.

As much as it hurts choosing the products to let go, once they're gone, it's a huge relief to get rid of products you don't like and aren't going to use. Do you regularly declutter your collection?

xx Julia

4 comments

  1. I just did the same thing recently and I actually had an NYC double ended liner too! I think it was probably around the age of yours! Ha! It is definitely a nice feeling to get rid of the things you know you never use. I feel like I'm more likely to get more ease of use out of the good things I have in my collection.

    Hillary | A Very Charmed Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Getting rid of stuff you don't like or use makes it easier to use the stuff you love! It just makes sense but I still find it so hard to make myself do it

      xx Julia

      Delete
  2. Good on you for decluttering! I did a huge throw out of products before bin night this week. I didn't even document it as there were so many products. I finally threw out the oldest keepsake product which was this sparkly purple loose eyeshadow that I got when I was about 12... I'm 26 now haha.. finally got rid of it!! I'm also trying not to buy new products as I might be moving next year and I have no idea to move it all!

    xo Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm also planning on not spending as much on makeup and beauty next year for various reason. It's tricky getting into the headspace that you have plenty of products to use and don't need to be buying new things all the time.

      xx Julia

      Delete