Review | Sephora Sleeping Masks

Thursday, 29 October 2015


A few weeks ago Sephora very proudly launched a new product to their Sephora Collection line: the Sleeping Masks. Just like their sheet masks, these come in a few different formulas to treat you skin while you sleep. I snagged two on their launch date and I have some thoughts.
The pull of these masks is that you can apply them all over your face and neck before falling into bed and let the product work its magic while you sleep. If any product remains on the skin the next morning, just wash it off with your morning cleanser. This concept is nothing new, but it's always nice to see innovative formulas becoming mainstream. Each of the Sephora Sleeping Masks is $5.

I grabbed Orchid for youth-activating and regenerating and Pomegranate for antioxidant and energising. Application of these products is like smearing a thin jelly all over your face. It's not entirely unpleasant and would probably be quite nice during the hot summer months. The real problem lies in the packaging: each mask is in a little plastic tub with a single-use seal. There is heaps of product within each tub which left me in a bit of a conundrum. I managed to stretch Orchid into three uses, applying the 'thin layer' recommended on the box. But between each use, I had to leave the packaging open in my skincare drawer which isn't the most sanitary. It makes this product feel like a foil sample except you had to pay quite a bit for it. I then tried to see if I could use the Pomegranate as a single use in case that was how I was actually supposed to use it. Even applying the product liberally all over my face, neck, and chest, there was way too much product in the little tub for one use. Was I supposed to throw out the remaining product? I honestly can't figure out the proportions of this product and it makes me want to never pay full prize for this glorified sample packaging.

After application, the product definitely sits on top of your skin. It doesn't feel tight or uncomfortable but I always felt like it was there. Unlike other over-night masks I've used in the past, like the Origins Drink Up Intensive, I definitely felt like I'd need to wash this one off in the morning.

All in all, a confusing and not terribly effective product. If you want something a bit fun and different, give it a try but definitely don't invest in the Sephora Sleeping Masks as a skincare saviour.

xx Julia

2 comments

  1. I like the honesty here! I can see where it would be frustrating to not have a nice way to close the product up for the next use. I love sleeping masks and probably would have tried this, but this is giving me second thoughts. Maybe after more reviews like this, they will reconsider their packaging. :D

    www.averycharmedlife.com | Hillary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I guess it's still worth a try if you have a spare $5 but here's hoping they change the packaging anyway!

      xx Julia

      Delete