Review | Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

Sunday, 11 October 2015


I became very excited when I saw that the Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara was coming to Australia (because so few actually do!) mostly because of its similarity to the Loreal Butterfly range but at a much lower price point. When it was released, I sillily picked it up for full price and have been using it ever since.

I very rarely try new mascaras just because I only like to have one at a time and using a mascara that doesn't work for you is the worst which kind of heightens the excitement of a new mascara for me. What drew me to this one in particular was the unique flared shape of the wand which made it different from anything I'd tried before. I love the curved shape because it makes it easier to apply product evenly across the lash line, even in the little corners.

A lot of people compared the brush to that of Benefit Roller Lash but I have to say that they are quite different. The Roller Lash had a slight curve to the wand but very short bristles graduating into longer bristles on the outer curve. The Lash Sensational does a similar thing but the bristles on the inner curve fork outwards very much like butterfly wings. This makes me think that it's the same wand as the L'Oreal Butterfly Wings Mascara considering L'Oreal owns Maybelline.

This product is great at giving volume and a bit of length to the lashes in a very dramatic way. The formula is really black, which is my preference, and quite wet in the tube. Because the formula is quite wet, it's pretty easy to get this onto your lids when applying so you have to be a bit careful with the longer bristles.

Here's my least favourite aspect of this product: it is incredibly difficult to remove. And don't think I made a mistake and bought the waterproof formula because I actively sought out the one that said 'Washable' on the packaging. When I first started wearing this, I was using a cream cleanser and a micellar water to remove my makeup. On first try, the micellar water just smudged the mascara all over my face, unlike anything I'd seen before. I then cycled through all of my cream, oil, and micellar cleansers and none of them were particularly effective until I bought a bi-phase eye makeup remover to use specifically on this mascara. Now, that really bothers me that I had to buy a makeup remover especially. Otherwise, I found the mascara would clump or gum up and end up all over my face during the cleansing process or in the morning after it had shifted while I was sleeping. I never hear anyone talk about how difficult this mascara is to remove so I'm making a particular point of it here.

While it gives a nice affect to my lashes, I cannot be bothered removing it, and for that reason I won't repurchase the Maybelline Lash Sensational after I've used it up.

Have you tried this product? What are your thoughts?

xx Julia

8 comments

  1. I have always loved Maybelline mascaras, but I'm obsessed with using their The Rocket Volum' Express Mascara. Although, I see so many amazing reviews on this one, so I know I need to get it once this one is finished. It's disappointing that it's so difficult to remove though, so thank you for your honest review.:)

    - www.veebzboo.com
    - www.youtube.com/veebzboo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always hear such awesome things about the Rocket but I don't think it'll ever come to Australia :/ Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I really think Maybelline are totally killing it when it comes to drugstore mascaras. I actually tend not to really have issues with any of the mascaras people say are difficult to remove - I don't know if it's available where you are, but the Vitamin C Cleansing Oil by Una Brennan always gets rid of every last trace of even the heaviest, super-waterproof make-up products I wear!

    Misia xx | gowashyourface.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleansing oils are excellent, I'm so glad they became popular amongst a lot of brands. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I'm currently using this one and enjoying it more as the formula dries in the tube due to my straight lashes. I use the waterproof version (as with all my mascaras) and use a bi-phase remover to remove my eye makeup and I don't find it particularly difficult to remove. I have also used the Sanctuary Spa Cleansing Oil on it and it has also been successful. It's a pity it's difficult to remove from your lashes as it sounds like you like the mascara too!

    xo Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo I'm interested in the Sanctuary Cleansing Oil. Bi-phase removers are really good at removing mascaras of any kind but I typically don't have one in my stash because I don't usually use waterproof makeup. I think that's mainly why I was a bit annoyed. But I'm also enjoying the mascara more as it dries out!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for pointing that out! I have a similar experience with a mascara that I'm using. For some reason it comes off like rubbery strands similar to eyelash glue. It's just so bothersome to spend 5 minutes trying to take off mascara at the end of the night.

    Raincouver Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this! Thanks for reading!

      Delete