Highlighter | Powder v Liquid

Thursday, 15 October 2015


Highlighting has seen a real resurgence in popularity since the strobing trend hit the beauty community. But if you've never used it before, what are the best formulas and when would you use each of them? As someone who absolutely loves highlighters, I'm here to share my advice with you.
Powders are the traditional highlighter form and they can come in many different formulations to give different glittery, shimmery, or sheeny effects to the skin. Typically powders are applied over the top of liquid and powder base products as a finishing touch to the cheekbones, forehead, nose, cupid's bow, brow bone, and/or chin. Powder blends very easily into the skin and can be applied lightly for a natural glow or intensely for a dramatic look.

While you can achieve a similar effect with liquid highlighters, there are a few more advantages to be gained. I love mixing liquid highlighter in with my moisturiser or primer to give my skin an all-over glowy effect. This is particularly good for dull skin that needs a quick pick-me-up. When applied over the top of a base, liquids are great for blending out into a flawless, diffused finish. Combining the two techniques will give you a proper glow, adding a beautiful light to your skin.

Powders are definitely easier to apply with a brush but I love the versatility of liquid. Then again, highlighting is a special love of mine and that means I always have plenty of formula options on hand. Do you have a formula preference?

xx Julia

2 comments

  1. I'm actually really not a fan of powder highlighters - I just don't think they ever look natural. I much prefer the dewiness you get with a liquid or cream :)

    Misia xx | gowashyourface.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own! I've recently been loving the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfecter Poured. It's beautiful!

      Delete