#imonanobuy Update

Tuesday, 7 July 2015


Way back on February 18th I decided to put myself on a 100 day spending ban to reassess my relationship with my beauty collection and spending habits. When that ban ended at the end of May, I even decided to extend it for a full 6 months. I've never gone on a spending ban for so long and it's honestly been quite an experience.
At this point it's been almost 150 days since I purchased a beauty product that wasn't a replacement for something I'd run out of. For someone who would usually buy a few new beauty bits every week or so, this was a major change in my spending habits. If nothing else, I've really enjoyed the extra money in my pocket to go towards other things I want/need!

I definitely encountered some rough patches where all I wanted to do was buy a new lipstick. I'll look at my collection and become frustrated that nothing is new or exciting, which is ultimately the motivation behind consumerist behaviour. Recognising those thought processes in myself has been difficult and disappointing to say the least.

I've found a lot of support from the project panning community; learning new habits and mindsets to approach my collection positively. In order to keep my collection exciting, weekly makeup baskets have helped me rotate through my stash without losing interest in the products I already own. Adding a project pan has also kept me motivated to focus on what I have and consider ways to reward myself for completing products instead of constantly consuming without using.

While I'm more than confident that I'll make it to my 6 month mark, I'm not sure if I'll go on such a long spending ban again. Makeup and beauty products are my hobby, I find great joy in trying new products and blogging about them, so putting a stop to that is difficult. I appreciate the way this ban has challenged my spending habits but I'm not prepared to give up trying new products when they spark my fancy! I'm also very excited to integrate project pans into my life after I return to regular purchasing to make sure things don't get out of hand!

xx Julia

4 comments

  1. 150 days is great! I'm sure you'll do well with the 6 months, but I totally get your reasoning behind not wanting to do it for that long again! I think doing no buys can be good refreshers to break habits, but ultimately this is our hobby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think I'll try to integrate no-buys more naturally into my project pans instead of making something I have to do.

      xx Julia

      Delete
  2. I love products from smash box they always comes very pigmented and prett<3 love reading this post and your blog is so elegant I fall in love<3 Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very familiar with Smashbox but I'd like to try some products from them in the future :] Thank you for reading!

      I'm always looking for new blogs to follow, especially fashion blogs :]

      xx Julia

      Delete