Brand Overview | Maybelline

Thursday, 23 July 2015


I'm quite a fickle beauty lover; flitting between products and brands as the fancy strikes me. Which means I don't get a very well-rounded account of brands within my makeup collection. One of the few exceptions, though, is with Maybelline. It's a brand I've loved for many years now and regularly reach for when I want good, trusted products.
Let's start with eye products because it's easily the biggest part of my Maybelline collection. Two of my favourite mascaras come from Maybelline: the Falsies and Mega Plush. They give great volume and length without smudging or flaking throughout the day. They also have a very black formula which I appreciate. I also love Maybelline's liners. For a wonderfully black, long-wearing gel liner, I regularly reach for the Gel Liner by Eyestudio. For something quicker, I'll use the Master Precise. As the name would suggest, the tip is very precise and one of the easiest liquid liners I've ever used. I've only dabbled with the coloured pencil eyeliners but I'll honestly say they're not my favourite. Maybelline's gel and liquid liners are great but you can definitely find better pencil liners elsewhere.

As far as eyeshadow goes, the Big Eyes Quads are some of the best in the drugstore. They're very pigmented but only the Luminous Brown quad is appropriate for everyday wear. Everyone went crazy for the Color Tattoos were released because they were some of the first cream eyeshadows available from an affordable brand. While they tend to dry out quickly, they're much more affordable than alternatives so that makes it alright. When the Color Tattoo Pure Pigments were released about a year later, they weren't nearly as popular perhaps because drugstore customers don't want to deal with the mess of loose pigment application. I really like the Downtown Brown and Potent Purple colours that I picked up but, I have to say, they are very glittery.

Only recently have affordable brands started to dip into eyebrow products which I really appreciate. I grabbed the Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara shortly after it was released and I absolutely love it. While it's flacked a lot of criticism for the odd globe-like wand, I think it works really well on my rather large and unruly brows. Plus it is much more affordable than competitors like Anastasia and Benefit.

And then there are the lip products. The Colour Sensational collection is Maybelline's classic formula and they regularly release new collections with the same formula. I picked up Vivid Rose after the much hyped Vivids collection and I love it for a night out. The range is exactly what you'd expect from a traditional lipstick: easy to apply, many colours to choose from, and relatively long-wearing. I also love the Colour Elixir range of lip glosses. They have a great pointed applicator for precise application and are pigmented without being sticky or drying. I wish more colours from the range would work their way over to Australia but I'm happy with what we've got if not.

What are some of your favourite products from Maybelline?

xx Julia

6 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It's a great product! Seriously comparable to Bobbi Brown or MAC.

      xx Julia

      Delete
  2. I love that gel eyeliner but also find it dried out so easily?!

    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but I just kind of force it to work because I don't want to have to buy a new one haha Have you heard of any ways to revive it? I suppose it's alright because there isn't all that much in the pot and it's really rather affordable anyway.

      xx Julia

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! Maybelline is a brand that is very reliable. Now that I think about it, I do use/wear a lot of Maybelline products! And I have probably all of the colour tattoos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely thought I was more of a Revlon wearer before I had a proper look at my collection. Thanks for reading!

      xx Julia

      Delete