Maximising Your Time

Monday, 6 April 2015


We're all given 24 hours in a day to achieve what we can but sometimes it just doesn't feel like enough! When you've got deadlines and projects hanging over your head, time management can be overwhelming and leave you feeling like you simply don't have the time. While I try to balance university, friends, family, blogging, other projects, etc, I've come up with a few ideas on how to maximise your time and get done what you want to get done.


Set a start and end time for every task. Often setting aside a day for a project with unlimited time only encourages me to procrastinate my start time beyond all reason. Scheduling a start and end time for any task means you know exactly when during the day you can focus on a certain task. This frees up the rest of your time to do other things and prevents you from procrastinating.

Keep an up-to-date diary. Knowing when you've committed your time to other things gives you a very clear idea of when and where you have time to dedicate to university work or whatever you have crowding your plate. The next step is to then schedule your extra time for completing necessary tasks so you know when and where that essay is going to get written.

Have a weekly to-do list. When I find myself with an hour or so between meetings and classes, having a to-do list reminds me of the things I need to complete by the end of the week so I never forget or idle away time I could have spent being productive.

Schedule time to do those things you've always wanted to do. Read a magazine, start a new hobby, catch up on your bloglovin' feed. You know those tasks you've always wanted to complete but could never find the time to do? Prioritise them and schedule some time to get them done! If you've set aside an hour to focus on this then there's no need to feel guilty or to put it off until you 'have more time'.

Close the social media and turn off your phone. You know as well as I do that trying to complete a task while your phone notifies you of the latest Facebook posts is incredibly distracting and can actually eat up a lot more time than you anticipated. Once you minimise unnecessary distractions like technology and social media, you'll be shocked how easily it is to focus and how quickly a task can be.

What are some of your tips for maximising your time?

xx Julia

2 comments

  1. Great and helpful tips! I like point #1, that's something I'm so bad at doing but I can definitely see how it makes you a lot more productive and focused. And the last point is so true and important. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could help! When you know you're start and end time, it can be much easier to focus a full hour or whatever amount of time you're using at once instead of spread unproductively over a day or something.

      xx Juliaa

      Delete