Keeping a Food Diary

Thursday, 16 April 2015


Earlier this year I decided to make a more concerted effort to exercise and eat more healthily which began with keeping a food diary to get an accurate idea of what I consume on a daily basis. It's been a pretty interesting experience so far.
I wasn't sure how invested I was going to be in this project so I didn't purchase one of those fancy food and exercise diaries, instead repurposing a journal I already had lying about. Funnily enough, I had one covered in fruit, perfect for a food diary!

The thing about writing down everything you eat is there is simply no hiding: you can see every salty snack, bit of chocolate, or afternoon treat you permitted yourself in black and white. This also turns up a lot of patterns and habits that you otherwise wouldn't have noticed. For example, I was drinking far more coffee and hot chocolate than I would have liked and I hardly eat any fruit! This was really exactly the point, to find out what I was eating so that I could choose to make better, healthier choices when I could.

Having to write down all I ate also helped limit the amount of things I was consuming. It's hard to admit that you really did eat a whole bag of MnMs instead of a few or 6 pieces of pizza instead of 3 or 4. It's not that I'm trying to starve myself, I just know how easy it is to get carried away and eat more than your body really needs. It's all about controlling what you consume to keep your body at its healthiest instead of overloading it because you're not paying attention.

I still have a long way to go on my healthy eating journey but putting my eating habits into this journal have been a really good first step for me.

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment