Holiday Makeup Picks

Tuesday, 23 December 2014


Holiday season = party season. This is my favourite time of year to get all dolled up for many festive parties and get togethers. When, like me, you don't get a lot of opportunity to wear a lot of makeup, this is the time to go big or go home. Here are my recommendations for what to wear makeup-wise during this cheery and party-licious season.

Let's start with the base: nothing will give you more confidence than a flawless complexion. Or so I'm told, at least. My go-to foundation for achieving perfect skin is NARS Sheer Glow. It's a favourite for many beauty bloggers and I promise you, there is good reason. I like going bold on eyes and lips so I tend to keep the cheeks low-key with a subtle, natural blush like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Diffused Heat. This will add a bit of a flush to your face without distracting from everything else going on.

Speaking of bold: glitter. After a certain age, there are few opportunities to wear glitter and remain classy; holiday parties are one of them. I'm loving the silvery-shimmer of the NARS Dual Intensity Shadow in Dione. Add lashing of mascara (or some falsies if you're so inclined) and you are ready to party. My mascara of choice for adding lots of volume and length all at once is the Make Up For Ever Smokey Extravagant. If you're not feeling the glitter, try adding some colour to your eye to set this look apart from your everyday neutrals. A green liner like the Maybelline Color Show Liner in Edgy Emerald is a great place to start but you can use any colour that suites you.

Finally, we're looking at lips. I'm a big believer in bold eyes and lips so don't shy away from using both. Nothing beats a bold red and recently I've been reaching for the L'Oreal Colour Riche Moisture Matte Lipstick in Flaming Kiss. This is a great line for a huge pop of colour and an easy matte finish that'll last through a few drinks. For something a bit different, maybe try an orange instead of the classic red. My favourite is the Cargo Lipstick in Sedona. This bright, semi-matte is very comfortable and fun to wear, adding a pop of something else to your party look.

How are you going to face the holidays? Bold and bright or simple and classy?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment