Disappointing Products

Tuesday, 25 November 2014


No one really likes making these kinds of posts but when you have a bad experience with a product, it can be valuable to share that. The usual disclaimer applies, though: this is just the experience I had with these products and that should in no way reflect on your experience. Take everything you read with a grain of salt and remember I'm not trying to bash, just trying to share.

L'Oreal Ever Sleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System Intense Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner:

I am constantly hunting around for new hair products to try in an attempt to tame my very unruly mane of curls. This means that, unfortunately, I can come across some real duds. I'll start with the L'Oreal Ever Sleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System Intense Smoothening Shampoo and Conditioner. We've all heard the horrible effects that silicones and sulfates can have on your hair so the prospect of a product free of those chemicals in the drugstore was exciting for me. These just did not work, though. I got the smoothing formula to help with my frizzy hair and I think more than anything, these products exacerbated the problem. My hair was dry and frizzy and awful after using these. I worked my way through the conditioner but I cannot go back to the shampoo.

Garnier Fructis Miraculous Oil:

In a similar vein, I was hoping this product would help eliminate frizz and add shine to my hair as everyone raves about the benefits of hair oils. Unfortunately, I didn't notice a single difference in my hair while using this product and it actually got used up fairly quickly, as well. I'll try some other brands of hair oils but this one just didn't work for me.

the Body Shop Vitamin C Facial Cleansing Polish:

This product may have just been my fault. I have normal/dry skin so using a gel brightening face cleanser probably wasn't my best idea. It smells amazing and was great for waking me up every morning but the tight feeling it left on my skin after use really wasn't very nice. I've heard really good things about the Body Shop's skincare but this product wasn't suited to my skin type.

Essie Nail Polish:

I know that just about everyone raves about the Essie nail polishes so I was very excited to give them a try when they hit the shelves in Priceline. I was, however, quite disappointed with the wear of these polishes. I have two colours and they both start chipping within the first day or two of painting. As someone who doesn't like painting their nails very often, I cannot be bothered with that kind of formula. For that reason, I probably won't be picking any more of these up (even though I love the colours!)

Revlon Lash Potion by Grow Luscious Mascara:

Firstly, the brush is absolutely ginormous! I really struggle not to get this product all over my eye when applying it and that simply isn't ideal. But, also, throughout the day this mascara has a habit of migrating and smudging underneath my eyes. I've used much better formulas that don't do this on me so I'll be reaching for those instead in future. Keep in mind, though, that plenty of people have told me this is a favourite for them! Just goes to show that mascara is a very fickle thing.

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Indigo:

I picked this up after Estee from essiebutton did a post about how much she loves navy liner and I must say that I love the colour! It's the perfect amount of not-black to stand out but dark enough to still define the lash line. The problem I have with this product is that the applicator tip on mine has appeared to completely dried up on the very tip which makes it very difficult to make a precise line. Also, I tend to have to press quite hard to dispense product which I simply don't want to be doing on my eyeball! I just have a lot of difficulty applying this product and I'm not sure if I've got a dud or that's how they all apply but it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully that was an alright post and possibly a helpful one! Let me know if you've had similar (or even opposite) experiences with any of these products.

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment