Battle of the Brushes | Sigma v Furless

Wednesday, 18 June 2014


I feel like I'm not the only one when I say I'm always on the look out for the perfect brush to add to my collection. Whether I want something versatile or specific, I'm constantly comparing between brushes and brands because, when you're a student like me, you so rarely have the luxury of buying both.

A few months ago I bought into the hype of Sigma brushes and, while I'm eternally cringing at the price of Australian shipping, I've been overall happy with my purchases. At the same time, very early in my blogging career I came across Furless Cosmetics, a vegan, cruelty-free and Australian owned brush and cosmetics company which just ticks all the right boxes. In order to help you decide, I've compiled some similar brushes to compare and offer you my verdict on the best brushes between Sigma and Furless.

Sigma Large Shader E60 v Furless Bamboo Concealer Brush -

While I expected these to be quite similar when ordering, it's pretty obvious with them lying next to each other that they are very different brushes. The E60 (top) has wider, thicker, taller, and more tapered hairs. The Bamboo Concealer (bottom) is very thin, rounded, and easily the stiffest brush I have in my collection.

Both brushes are great for packing on colour when applying eyeshadow and I love how the E60 covers a lot of lid space in a short period of time.

Sigma Eye Shading E55 v Furless Black Beauty Eyeshadow Brush -

Unlike the previous brushes, these two are almost identical in shape. If I had to pick a difference I would say the Black Beauty (bottom) is a bit thicker and fluffier than the E55 (top).

I use both of these brushes all the time for applying eyeshadow all across the lid. The Black Beauty is incredibly soft and picks up powder a bit better than the E55. I generally find the Sigma eye brushes scratchy at times and they shed like no other. (You might be able to see in the photo a loose hair on the E55 if you look closely.)

Sigma Small Angled E65 v Furless Bamboo Small Angled Brush -

A really good angled brush for eyeliner or eyebrow application is sometimes hard to come by as they can be too flexible, too sparse, too thick, etc. These two are great, though, both stiff and thin and great to use.

While the hairs are the same height, the Bamboo Small Angled is wider and thinner. The E65, though, is stiffer and maintains its shape better as the hairs on the Furless one tend to separate.

Overview -

As you can see, for as many similarities these brushes have there are also a lot of differences. Based on individual brushes, Sigma wins this round with the E60 and E65. But there are other factors to consider when purchasing from different brands.

Furless is cruelty-free and vegan, which is a major plus in my book, and their bamboo range are particularly environmentally sustainable. They're also Australian owned which allows me to support a local business and avoid the horrendous international shipping charges of other brands.

Sigma is a global favourite but without a base in Australia, you're going to have to make quite a purchase to make the postage worth it. I also find their brushes as a whole to be scratchier and to shed more than any other brand I own.

For future brush purchases, I would have to go with Furless as the overall quality is higher for the amount that I'm paying for them.

If you want to purchase any of the brushes mentioned here or have a look at the brands' other collections then you can view the Sigma website here or view the Furless site here (this is an affiliate Furless link but, if you would prefer, this one is not).

What do you think? Do you prefer Sigma or Furless?

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment