Review: Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil in Soft Brown

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

In a continuation of my current brow product obsession, I thought I would share with you a review of another brow pencil, one which I've been using for a number of months now. I picked out the Maybelline Master Shape Eyebrow Pencil as my first foray into brow filling products and was initially quite disappointed with the colour selection; only three shades and none that fit just what I was looking for. I ended up with Soft Brown, the middle brown of the trio.

Now, after my beginning 'new product excitement', I began to grow quite disenchanted with this pencil for a number of reasons. Firstly, the packaging: this is one of those pencils that's packaged in plastic which you're supposed to sharpen like a regular pencil. Products that you have to sharpen are generally more wasteful as you need to shave off product to produce a useable tip. Unfortunately, I could never reach a pointed tip on this product quite like it had when I first bought it which made drawing detailed brows impossible.

Then there was the product itself. Other than the unavoidable fact that it was simply the wrong colour (too red, too dark, too heavy), this product is also very soft and waxy. Not infrequently, I would get chunks of product breaking off into my brows and leaving greasy smudges on my skin. It's really difficult to draw a product onto your skin when it just wants to crumble! The waxiness also made my hairs stick together which is counter-productive to filling in my brows in the first place!

It does, however, include a spoolie on the end of the pencil which I appreciate but which hardly covers the faults of this product.

As the Master Shape approaches nub-state, with all of these complaints, I know I won't be repurchasing it and I don't recommend this product, either.

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment