Review: Maybelline the Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara in Blackest Black

Thursday, 12 September 2013

I'm always on the look-out for a new mascara to try out because they are all so very different and it can be fun to experiment with dramatic or natural lashes from time to time. Generally speaking, I'm also usually drawn to Maybelline mascaras for their wet formulas and innovative wands and cute packaging.

What I found particularly intriguing about the Mega Plush was the "Revolutionary Gel-Mousse Formula" which promised "Mega Volume" with "No Brittle Feel". I was also hoping that this mascara might prove better than my favourite the Falsies Black Drama in the smudge department. Though, I was a bit wary of the giant flexible wand with its sporadic bristles.

However, upon first use, it was love. This mascara is like none I've ever tried in that it coats every single lash and doesn't clump at all! Your lashes are perfectly separate but volumised and lengthened beautifully. This gives a dramatic look that still maintains an air of the natural which I adore. The true test was the wearing power. I wore this mascara all day [including a trip to the zoo] and there was no smudging, smearing, or flaking! It looked exactly the same as the moment I put it on. Plus, while it definitely feels like I'm wearing mascara, my eyelashes aren't stiff and irritating like they can be with other mascaras that I've tried.

Don't get me wrong, though, the wand is HUGE, easily covering the length of your eye. Unexpectedly, it also has a rather unique shape. It has three flat sides so that the bristles form a sort of tapered triangular prism which is lovely for the top lashes but makes getting the little bottom ones a bit of a challenge. It's also very flexible, as advertised, which I don't see as an advantage. The bend in the wand makes it hard to get a good grip on the lashes and coat completely from root to tip without covering your eyelid, as well. Then, there's the bristles themselves: I generally prefer plastic bristles because I feel they disperse product more effectively but this wand has very sporadic wire bristles which is simply something I'm not used to!

Even with such an unusual wand, though, I really love this mascara and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy using it as the weather warms up down here.

xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment