Review: Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow Palette in 520 Watercolor

Wednesday, 3 July 2013

A few months ago, Revlon released a new collection of eyeshadow palettes in their PhotoReady line of cosmetics. I was interested because they contained an entire eye look with coordinating colours in one palette. I chose the purple selection in 520 Watercolor because it looked like it would suite my brown eyes best out of all of the options and it just looked like fun!

Once I'd gotten it home, I began to play around with the colours and to see how they worked with each other in the manner that they were designed. I was pretty disappointed, to be completely honest. The primer shadow was a really cool iridescent pink shade but it added nothing underneath the other shadows. Pigmentation was mostly just glitter and the blue shade really didn't work.

But I persevered! With a bit more experimentation and a white colour base, I could come up with a pretty fun glittery purple eye look for a night on the town or a party.

The shadows in the palette include a very glittery mid-tone purple, a deep blue-purple and a light, almost pastel purple. There's also an iridescent pink primer shadow and some pink glitter to round out the palette.

For a drugstore eyeshadow product, it's pretty average. The colours are nice but they're mainly glitter. This makes it hard to blend the shadows together or to get an even sweep of colour. They definitely need a colour base which makes the included primer a bit redundant. Plus, the deep blue shade is very chalky and disappears as you try to blend it. To get any real colour, it might take a number of dips of the brush into the pan.

If you're looking for something fun, sparkly and compact, then this product will probably work for you. But I don't know if I'd be paying the AUD$25.95 to try any of the other colours in the collection.

All in all, I'm glad I bought the palette because I can get a decent eye look out of it and I don't have any similar shadows in my collection. But it's overpriced and doesn't stand out as a must-have drugstore product.

If you're interested to know how I created an eye look using just the Revlon PhotoReady Primer + Shadow palette, I recently uploaded a video tutorial on my youtube channel.


xx Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment